February 05, 2005

90

My grandmother turned 90 today. She may not make it to 91, given her declining health and already very advanced age, but she's made it far enough that my son will be able to say that he met someone who had been through two world wars and the Great Depression, never had the need or, for the vast majority of her life, even the theoretical opportunity to own a personal computer or cell phone, and was alive when women didn't have the vote. When he makes it to the second half of the 21st century, those will be events nearly as distant from him as the Civil War is from me.

History's big, isn't it?

2 Comments:

Blogger James said...

I wish I had gotten a chance to know my great-grandmother better. She came to this country in 1901, and never actually learned how to speak English, so my very sparse memories of her involve an old woman talking to me in rapid (and indecipherable) Polish.

From what I am told, however, she was quite a lady.

March 3, 2005 at 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand women only got the vote in Maryland (ie the state legislative body only ratified the federal legislation) in 1964.

1964. After Brown v Board of Education, after the Kennedy assassination, after the start of the Vietnam war. I am sometimes struck forcibly by how brief the interlude we currently consider to be normal really is.

May 13, 2005 at 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home